Thursday, May 22, 2014

I'm floored.

Glory be, we have floor tile!

I only have one picture because we're not supposed to walk on it yet. Glue drying, or something like that.

In lieu of more photos, I will tell the floor tile story.

I believe in shopping locally when possible, so I started looking at tile at a local place run by a family friend. I did get good service and was shown this tile at the quoted price of $4.99/sf. I also saw some shower tiles I liked, and they said I could take the samples home.

I had the samples with me when I went to Home Depot to look at vanities. I ran into a former coworker who now works there and he commented that he loves that tile I had in my cart. I said thanks and then I realized he thought I had found it at Home Depot. I said, "Do you carry this? This is a sample from another store", and he said yes, it's right over here. He showed me a display and there was the very same tile marked $1.99/sf.

Again, I believe in shopping locally. I believe that I got good service at the specialty store, and I sincerely intended to support the little guy. However, HD was 40% of his price. That's 60% less, and when you're buying 70 sf of tile, that's a difference of $200. Gulp.

I bought the floor tile at Home Depot, and promised myself I would buy the shower tile from the local guy. The big boxes didn't carry what I had in mind for the shower anyway, but then the shower tile purchase didn't go according to plan, and that's a story for another day.

Here's a screenshot of the floor tile from the Home Depot website. It has a brushstroke/woodgrain look to it, and I like that it's big (12" x 24") and doesn't require lots of grout.




No comments:

Post a Comment